Monday, October 7, 2013

Blog #4: Opportunity Cost!


Part I - The Past
Back in September 2010, I moved to America with my family. There were two options for me. First option, I can stay in Vietnam in stead of move to America, huge strange environment, big different society. I can stay with my grandma and see her happy face everyday, also have fun with my great cousins and don't have to say good-bye to my friends. But, the benefits for me to stay in Vietnam is very low. Everything in Vietnam is setup by the government, they arranged how the system works for everyone. Talking about education, all the classes in school are not chose by students, students must take all the classes no matter they like or not. Things are taught in classes mostly based on the USSR academic system, which they don't usually let or avoid students to learn things they are not supposed to know. There are no opportunities for students if they fail on the final test for colleges. Second option, I will move to America to start a new life, be a part of a new society where most of friendly and educated people live. For the living, I can do whatever I want but not illegal things, just things that make life more healthy and precious and also meaningful. I can make new friends and learn cool things from people wherever they are come from because the United States is an International Country obtained all races from over the world. Comparing the U.S education to Vietnam education, the U.S education system let students choose what they want to learn but also arrange students in 4 major required classes. Things that are taught in classes are free sources collected and analyzed by best people, who wants people who live in the U.S to be a better person, better citizens. Although, the opportunity for people to go to college is very high, no matter what at age or any kind of problem.

I chose option B, the second option, which gave me more benefits. Thinking about how I am doing in the U.S compare to myself in Vietnam is a big difference. Living in the U.S, I have a good condition to learn and express myself in a positive way, I learned what I like to and absorbs amazing things from everywhere. I speak out for myself and for others what I think right to do. So, option B gave me more choices in life more than option A, what kept people away from learning things from outside world. The cost is that I felt more freedom and more Bao-style. 


Part II - The Future
First thought appear in my mind was always "How is it gonna be like in my future? I want an happy life." It's been exactly 3 years and 8 days for me living in this freedom land. As a senior who just moved and living here in a short time, I have a lot of things to deal with, such language and cultures. I quickly want to be a part of this new environment and stabilize my life. I think a lot about colleges which will decide what is my life's going to be. One of my choice was joining the Navy after 2 years of college, this gives me an opportunity to learn how the navy soldiers' life is like, travel to the ocean and challenge myself to learn new things. the point is after serve for several years in the navy, I would return home with experience and get a job easily. But this way may take too long for me to stabilize my life. I came up with a new common strategy mean that I will attend to college and study of engineering, which is my dream occupation. This takes about 8 years to stabilize my life and earn a huge amount of money, 4 year degree of college and 2 or 4 more years for master degree maybe. So, the benefit of choosing second choice to me is a good decision. Huge field of study, big environment for me to learn a lot of things and also develop my thinking, I may volunteer (teaching and helping people or schools) sometimes on my free time. Navy life also has a big field of study but I may not be able to do thing I like or volunteer. It's more sticky to a job and it's also not what I really like to do, not enjoying at all (lots of waves: I like to swim but don't like to throwing out). With second choice, I think it's more comfortable and I'm sort of like knowing what to do with my role. 

However, any decision above were good thoughts for me, but I prefer have a steady life that doesn't go up or down too much. I think that would be a good choice for me, just like most of everybody else, go to college and have a stable job.

No comments:

Post a Comment